Called the “Gold Rush of the 21st Century,” the cannabis market is predicted to explode in 2018, with legalization expanding and more big names getting into the game. The door is wide open to innovative new products, but only the brands that distinguish themselves from the crowd will succeed in what is likely to become a saturated market. 2018 will be the year for the cannabis industry show a more polished side to a much broader audience.
Your branding and package design offer a first impression that can make or break your product. And since you want your first impression to be awesome, here are our
Creativity - Great packaging has the power to draw people in, to make them feel good about your product and to convey a shared set of values. The most creative new cannabis packaging in 2018 will move away from literal graphics (yes, I’m talking about the pot leaf image), and move towards innovative yet relevant brand representation. The emphasis for 2018 will be on generating fresh and exciting ideas.
- Customization - From die cuts to hand-drawn lettering, customization of your packaging and label design will elevate your brand instantly. For new or unfamiliar products, a custom die cut in your packaging allows consumers a sneak peek inside and can build confidence in what they are buying. From a design standpoint, customized label shapes, hand-drawn illustrated lettering, and the size and shape of your package can all help to differentiate a product on the shelf.
- Sustainability - Especially true for the cannabis industry, consumers have high expectations around sustainable, eco-friendly packaging. Recycled materials, reduced packaging and the use of lightweight materials to reduce shipping costs will all win in 2018.
- Usability and Upcycling - At the very least, packaging should be frustration-free, simple to open, reseal, and break down for recycling. Clever designs in 2018 will give old packaging a new life as a repurposed product. Think bottles so pretty they become vases and boxes or jars so beautifully designed they are saved for gift giving.
- Retro Design - Vintage designs will also play well in 2018. Consumers are nostalgic for simpler times and will respond to designs that evoke those sentimental feelings.
- Minimalism - In a world of way too much information, 2018 will continue to see consumers seeking to simplify. Clean, fresh, eye-catching design will connect consumers with their desire to declutter their lives and minds, and surround themselves with products that are equally functional and beautiful.
- Clean Labeling - Transparency in labeling is another trend that won’t be going anywhere soon. Consumers want to know exactly what they are putting in and on their bodies. This is especially true of millennials, who are now 18-35 and represent huge purchasing power.
- Illustration - Custom drawing and illustrations will offer distinction to products seeking to convey an organic, non-digital brand. Keep in mind that even illustrated lettering will stand out among the standard fonts. It doesn’t have to be complex to be unique.
- Typography Intensive - Hand-drawn custom lettering and typography heavy design will continue to be effective in 2018. Bold, clean and simple lines using exceptional color palates not only catch the eye, but also convey the idea of something fresh and new.
- Solid Branding - There is one trend that has stood the test of time in design: solid branding. Fresh, innovative and effective design begins with a core understanding of your customer and what your product means to them. If you start with a solid foundation to build your brand, you can adapt to trends as they come and go without compromising your message.
Wishing you all a happy New Year filled with inspiring cannabis design!